W@gDD :: U@gDD  
oH e
Robert
¨â½ü¾Ç°|¥®¸X¶é

Uɶ: 2004-10-25
峹: 34
Ӧ: ¥xÆW

oo: P T 13, 2005 8:07 pm    峹DD: Why they are so expensive here? ި^

I read a motocycle exhibition, which held in Canada, news from Apple Daily (Ä«ªG¤é³ø) yesterday. Various big bikes are shown, and their prices as well. Believe or not, a BMW R1200GS costs only 460,000 NTD, a R1150Gs costs only 450,000 NTD, and a Triumph Speed Triple takes only 330,000 NTD. Why should we people here spend almost one million to buy the same ones? Is there any reason that the impost of these bikes should be as high as their original prices?
^
˵|ӤH oepHT
hm
¨â½ü¾Ç°|°ª¤¤¥Í

Uɶ: 2004-05-13
峹: 628
Ӧ: Planet Earth (mostly)

oo: P@ T 14, 2005 9:02 am    峹DD: ި^

Robert,

I guess you should ask the government this question. In most countries is none or only a small import tax on motorcycles. In Taiwan we have

22% import tax
17% Commodity tax (on goods value plus/incl. packing costs)
5% Value added tax
Totally: 44% Tax

on the net value of the bike & packing!!!!!!

Running a trading company, I was thinking to import a bike myself but my calculation has shown that the saving is minor. Large importers such as BMW, Kawasaki, etc. don't import only one bike but many of the same model at the same time, which saves them shipping costs and the inspection costs in Taiwan (usually only 1 bike of a whole is tested and if OK all pass).

To give you an idea, a 1200GS, which has a list price of NT$ 859,000 in Taiwan, would cost you quite exactly NT$ 800,000 (depending on the daily currency exchange rate), if you import the bike by yourself but you have to take care of the paperwork. Considering that you can get some discount on the list price in Taiwan it's actually not worth to import it yourself - especially considering warranty related service matters.

Only if you can import e.g. 10 bikes of the same model at the same time it makes sense. Then each bike would cost you "only" NT$ 750,000, as transportation charge and inspection costs will be lower.

So the question is not why the price is so high but why the government puts such a high tax on it. The answer is very simple - they try to protect the local industry, that has a strong lobby. Additionally it brings in quite some tax revenue.

By the way, with cars it's exactly the same. If you e.g. buy a Taiwan made Toyota Camry with V6 and DVD it costs you NT$ 1,350,000. This car does NOT have head curtain airbags, better sound system or McPherson shock absorbers. If you could add such items as options you would end up with a price of NT$ 1,500,000. The same car, incl. all those expensive extras, costs less than NT$ 1,000,000 if made in USA or made in Japan. I asked a Toyota salesman why there is such a price difference, as I assumed the production costs in Taiwan should be lower than in USA and Japan and most parts in the Taiwan made car are made in Taiwan and not imported. His answer: "I don't know, it's our company policy". In other words, as there is a 60% import tax an import cars domestic car manufacturers are simply raising their prices to a level where is does not make sense to import a car yourself rather than price it according to the manufacturing costs. That's why I don't buy any domestic made car, if the price in USA or Japan or Europe is lower than in Taiwan.

Remember when we die, we leave all the material things behind.
The only thing we take with us are the good experiences in life! (Gary Silva)
^
˵|ӤH oepHT
JJ
¦n¦h«e¥@±¡¤H

Uɶ: 2004-02-07
峹: 2946
Ӧ: «¢°ÕÀ°´²¨B²Õ

oo: P@ T 14, 2005 10:07 am    峹DD: ި^

Now you guys realize what's the real meaning of "Taiwaner's Sorrow" stated by Li-Deng-Where? Twisted Evil
^
˵|ӤH oepHT [oHӤH MSN Messenger
James
¨â½ü¾Ç°|¤¤¾Ç¥Í

Uɶ: 2005-01-31
峹: 349

oo: P@ T 14, 2005 11:04 am    峹DD: ި^

hm g:
I guess you should ask the government this question.
In most countries is none or only a small import tax on motorcycles.
In Taiwan we have

22% import tax
17% Commodity tax (on goods value plus/incl. packing costs)
5% Value added tax
Totally: 44% Tax

on the net value of the bike & packing!!!!!!

You're right Hermann, the taxes are rediculous... and as far as I understand they are cumulative ie: assuming the bike and shipping charges to get the crate to a Taiwan port, the CIF price is NT$100,000 (maybe $90,000 for the bike and $10,000 for shipping) the tax works as follows:

+22%
=122,000

+17%
=142,740

+5%
= 149,877

add the unnecessary +/-NT$80,000 for the pollution testing that is a joke on an island that is the 2nd filthiest environment on earth!!... http://www.etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/Society/2005/01/27/1106791121.htm

so you have a cost of around NT$140,000 for the Taiwan "government" for a NT$90,000 bike... and people actually claim things have gotten better since the old KMT government where all the governemnt did was steal money and take bribes... still seems exactly the same to me... Rolling Eyes

sorry if I offend anyone's political sensibilities, but this really pisses me off...
^
˵|ӤH oepHT
martymcflyrr
¨â½ü¾Ç°|°ª¤¤¥Í

Uɶ: 2004-04-28
峹: 937
Ӧ: Taiwan

oo: P@ T 14, 2005 11:07 am    峹DD: ި^

That's what I call highway robbery....I've known about these rates for some time now...and I can't believe the WTO lets Taiwan get away with this!
^
˵|ӤH oepHT Tq MSN Messenger
qe峹}l:   
osDD   ^ХDD    2½ü²ÕRUN2W -> English Corner Ҧɶ xWɶ (GMT + 8 p)
1(@1)

e:  
z Lk boӪo峹
z Lk boӪ^Ф峹
z Lk boӪs峹
z Lk boӪR峹
z Lk boӪi벼